Saturday, November 7, 2009

A Reminder of How Talking Helps

The tragic shooting at Ft. Hood left our nation in a cloud of sadness. The grief touched our hearts and souls at the deepest levels. I was sad about the loss of people I'd never seen, never met, never knew. Deep inside us there is a natural grief that follows a loss like this. I found myself trying not to think about "it." Yet a few hours later, I would start talking about "it" again. I was compelled to send my two boys emails reminding them I loved them. I called my mom..."just to talk." Something about grief and loss drives us to want to connect. We don't want to be alone in our sadness. Thinking about this, while a completely different circumstance, I was reminded of how those of us who've chosen to voluntarily terminate a pregnancy are so alone in our grief. We don't, won't, can't talk about our feeling of loss and sadness. This isn't a natural reaction to grief. We need a better way for women.

No comments: